Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Choosing Joy.

Have you ever realized when you really need to hear a message from God he usually doesn't disappoint. About a week ago God revealed his truth to me through my nightly devotional with my children.

I had a really tough day and was glad it was almost over. I sat down to read the nightly devotional to my children when God revealed a message to me. The title of the devotional was "Be Happy Hearted". The verse was Proverbs 17:22 A happy heart is like good medicine. But a broken spirit drains your strength." I was stunned. I actually realized that it wasn't just that day but for many months I have felt "Unhappy" or having the lack of "JOY" in my life. I had been dealing with a lot of things and not really dealing with but allowing them to affect my spirit and attitude. I wasn't allowing the Joy of the Lord to be my strength. Rather my spirit was breaking or broken and my strength was being drained. Immediately I got the message. I thanked the Lord for showing me that although life has it's difficulties, choosing to be Happy in the midst of trials is a reflection of HIS spirit inside of me.

So for future reference I am going to choose Joy. I know it seems bleak at times with as many trials and difficulties we face daily. Just knowing though, that when this life is over if we have lived a life of choosing Joy then we will have something wonderful to look forward to. Just knowing Jesus loves me and is always near gives me peace and hope to help me endure whatever trail or situation I encounter.

As a side note, I have to mention the Veggie Tale story that fits with this passage also. Madame Blueberry has a house in a tree. One day the Stuff Mart sets up a store just down the path from her house. She is not a very "happy" Blueberry b/c all of her friends have nicer things than she. So she sets out with her two helpers, Bob and Larry to visit the Stuff Mart. Immediately she discovers all sorts of items her friends have that she just has to have herself. She proceeds to get the stuff and have it delivered by the french peas. On two separate occasions she is confronted with the idea of having a happy heart. Unfortunately Madame Blueberry learns a little too late about having a happy heart. Sadly her house ends up a pile of smashed sticks. But Madame Blueberry finally understands that happiness is having a happy heart and is more important than having things.

Having a Happy Heart is a choice. It is being content and thankful to God for all he has given and all he will give. Knowing that it is not what we possess physically that is important, but rather what we possess spiritually is what is important.

No comments: