Tuesday, January 22, 2008

FORGIVENESS. We all need it, so we should all be generously giving it to others.

As a mother I am continually teaching my children to be forgiving. In many situations an opportunity will arise and they will be challenged, how to handle the wrong against them. I have noticed it seems to be easier for children to forgive than for adults. I am sure it is b/c we are set in our ways and count the wrongs done against us. As adults we have practice holding grudges and storing up bitterness and resentment.

Children however, are not as hardened in their spirits. That is why in Mathew 19;14 But Jesus said," Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of heaven." As innocent and untainted by the world children are quick to love and forgive.

Saying "sorry" though should require just more than words but feeling and acting remorseful for our behavior. That is what this mom is trying to do, and seeing some evidence of success.

I am reminded of what I read a few days ago. In 1 Corinthians 13, we all know it as the "Love" chapter in the bible. As I was reading it I realized areas that revealed to me how I fail at truly being perfected in God's love.

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8a Love suffers long and is kind, love does not envy, love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.


I know as I have been teaching my children to forgive, I must be the best teacher and by my example show them how to forgive. Even in the Lord's Prayer, Jesus gives us the example of how we should pray and what is expected of us. In Mathew 6:14 Jesus says,
"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."

We require forgiveness b/c we in Romans 3:23 "for all sinned and fall short of the glory of God". Since it is b/c of the sin in our lives we need God to forgive us. Not that we should be currently sinning. Just like Paul mentions in Romans 6:1-2 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace should abound? Certainly not! How shall we who have died to sin live any longer in it?

As Christians we need to realize that sinning should not in be in our lifestyle of habits. In fact we should try everyday NOT to sin. But become more focused in living righteous lives and showing forth God's perfect Love and Forgiveness.

No comments: