Saturday, January 26, 2008

Faith, a firm foundation....Isaiah 7:9b "If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all".

Faith is a powerful thing. In scripture we can find many examples of how having faith in God, played a huge roll in the lives of those in both the Old and New testaments. One such example is found in Isaiah.
In Isaiah 7 we find king Ahaz struggling, due to two other waring nations on the verge of attacking Judah. Ahaz and the people of Judah were shaken in their faith, like trees shaken in the wind. Isaiah is told by God to tell Ahaz to be careful and be calm and to not be afraid. But still Ahaz is concerned. God then speaks to Ahaz and refers to the two nations, and in future generations they will be "shattered people". Due to their lack of faith those two nations about to attack Judah, will eventually through generations to come, no longer be powerful forces. The Sovereign Lord tells Ahaz that these other nations do not stand in their faith, and b/c of that they will fall apart. Hence by their lack of faith Ahaz and the people of Judah need to do the opposite; Isaiah 7: 9 "If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all."

So as believers today, we should do the same. Stand firm in our faith, and if we don't then we will not be able to stand at all. I for one don't know how anyone can stand without faith in God. In fact, my faith in God is so important to me and plays a role in my life it is almost, if not as important to me as breathing. I cherish my faith so much, that I want to share it with so many other people.

Of course there are other examples of what kind of faith we should have. Like the woman with the bleeding for 12yrs, after one touch of Jesus' garment and after turning to her he says, "Woman your faith has healed you." Or how about how much faith we need. Like the amount of faith of a mustard seed, Mathew 17:20 He replied, "B/c you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." I remember as a child, one of my sisters having a necklace with a clear locket like thing attached to a chain. Inside the locket was a very tiny yellowish seed, so small it was even hard to see with the human eye. It sure does give a visual to how much Faith we are to have.

Other instances in the New Testament we are told that "the righteous will live by faith" Romans 1:17. Also in 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We live by faith not by sight."

Of course who can forget my two favorite sources of faith statements which are found in Hebrews and James. Hebrews devotes chapter 11 to faith and the things concerning faith. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." That by faith the world was made by God and not out of something visible. Then also in Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, b/c anyone who comes to him must believe that he exsists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Also in James 2:26 "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead."

Possibly with out a doubt the best example comes from Jesus. In John 20 :24-30 the disciples share their experience with Thomas, who was absent the first time Jesus appeared to the disciples. (verse 25) After they recall, "We have seen the Lord!" Thomas replies," unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and my hand into his side, I will not believe it". Later when Jesus arrives again, Thomas is present and witnesses the scars on Jesus. (verse 28 & 29) Thomas said to him,"My Lord and my God!" Then Jesus told him, " Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." Meaning those who have FAITH with out the proof of really seeing Him.

I do feel blessed to be a believer. It is by the trust or faith we put in God, that makes us capable to receive the great reward. That reward being an everlasting life with Jesus and God in the father's Mansion, the place Jesus has gone to prepare for us. Just as in John 14 " Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

One of my favorite passages and chapters John 14 and John 15. I find so much comfort in those two passages alone. Knowing that Jesus is a man of his word and I am a part of something greater than myself. When I became a believer it no longer became all about me, but about Him and the purpose in which he has created me and all of us for. The purpose of living for him and teaching others his word and encouraging others to believe in him as we have believed.

Knowing truthfully, that Faith is more powerful than any weapon, more valuable than any amount of money, and more precious than anything imaginable. Actually faith is freeing. Freeing to the mind that we are living a truthful life, freeing to the spirit that we are pleasing our Lord, and freeing to the body b/c as most people are living and believing this is thee life, we are not living for this life but for the LIFE to come.

One last thought, actually a story where my faith in God was strengthened. I was in my final weeks in my 4th pregnancy and my midwives were concerned for my delivery. My unborn child was in a peculiar position and would not be able to be delivered if he/she didn't move. Well we tried many techniques to encourage movement and nothing really seemed to work. I even had a doctor try to manipulate the baby into moving with no success. It wasn't until my dh and I prayed for guidance and scheduled a c-section, that God showed us his faithfulness. We prayed in Faith knowing God would answer us according to his will. Sure enough on a Sunday none the less our little one turned into the correct position and the c-section could be avoided. Then 9 days later I was able to have the home birth I had been planning for.

My last thought of encouragement comes from Philemon 1:6 "I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ." I hope that this is encouraging and uplifting to everyone who reads and who lives by Faith in Jesus Christ.

No comments: