Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Discipline good for the mind, body and spirit.

Before I go much farther, let's look at the word discipline and see what the dictionary defines it as.
Discipline-1) a branch of knowledge or learning;2) a training that develops self control, character, or orderliness and efficiency;3) strict control to force obedience; the result of such training or control; b) specifically self control or orderly conduct also the acceptance of or submission to authority and control;4) a system of rules, as with a church;5) treatment that corrects or punishes.

Well lately in the last 3 weeks or so, I have been working on becoming more disciplined in many areas of my life. Discipline isn't any easy thing to have nor is it easy to give. Especially if we are giving ourselves a big dose of it. It is pretty easy to be lazy and lacking discipline in our activity, diet, behaviors, and daily routines. I am not sure what the exact culprit is but I would bet laziness hands down. No more laziness here. I know I need discipline and I am gonna try hard to get it and make it a part of every aspect of my life.

Well I have decided last month that I would be disciplined and committed to reading my bible daily and involving the children (the only way I knew how to do it without interruptions). Well it has been well over a month and I am still going strong. Praise the Lord! I have been really enjoying our bible time and even the children are getting use to it. I need to be more diligent in having it right after breakfast. Knowing that reading God's word at the start of the day can actually make your day a lot more joyful, peaceful and all around positive. Think of it has spending every morning in conversation and communication with your best friend. Wouldn't that put a smile on your face everyday.

Over two weeks ago my dh and I have begun our exercise routine together. I will admit it has been a bit out of order, but none the less it has been done everyday. Although my dh doesn't really need the weight lifting since he lifts boxes for 4 hours every morning. He still kindly works out with me so I am not feeling alone. I think that is the worst part about exercising, not having a partner to keep you accountable. It is not my sole goal or intent for us to loose weight, although that would make me and dh even happier, but rather to gain strength and become more fit to play with the children. I don't want my exercise to be about vanity. That is far too common in the world today. But rather give my body the discipline it needs to get into and stay in healthy shape. Eating right and drinking lots of water is also apart of making better choices and lifestyle changes that produce a healthy active fit person.

I have been also trying to get my mind more discipline and reading more helpful books that will encourage a healthy mind. I am also staying more mentally active with my sons and with different kinds of games and activities that help challenge and strengthen the memory and skill.

It is really encouraging to have my sons support my discipline of my mind, body and spirit. They love to join in on what ever we are doing, without even knowin it is shaping all of us into more disciplined people.

Here are a few verses about discipline:
Proverbs 15:32
32. He who disdains instruction despises his own soul, but he who heeds reproof gets understanding.
Proverbs 23:13
13. Do not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.
Hebrews 12:5-6
5. And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: "My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
6. For whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives.''
Revelation 3:19
19. "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

I hope this may encourage all who read to look at their life and see if discipline is lacking in some area. If so, to be humble enough to let the Lord work within you to create a more self-controlled individual that he can use in a mighty way!

Here is a song about the fruits of the Spirit that our children love to sing : The fruit of the Spirit is Love, the fruit of the Spirit is Joy, with Peace, and Patience, and Faithfulness, Kindness, Goodness, and Gentleness, then you add Self Control and that's what makes the fruit grow, cha cha cha!

No comments: