Friday, March 7, 2008

Need a delicious Cookie recipe, My family's favorite.

I have made this recipe 4 times now and it just seems to be better each time. Each time I make it I improve on the time before. I think now my adjustments have perfected the recipe and made these cookies almost as good as in the store bought version.

The cookies referred to are " Oatmeal Whoopie Pies" or "Li'l Debbie cookies"


4 cups packed Brown sugar
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
5 cups flour
4 cups of oatmeal *(i use quick oats and I grind the oats fine down to an oatmeal flour like consistancy, you can still see that it is oats.)
6 Tbsp Boiling Water
4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla

Cream filling:
4 Tbsp flour
4 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 cups of Crisco
2 cups of powdered sugar
2 egg whites whipped and beaten well

Mix all of the cookie ingredients in a mixer and cream sugar and butter and eggs together. Then gradually add salt, cinnamon, baking powder and flour and oatmeal. I transfer the dough to a big bowl and use a wooden spoon or large scrapper to mix and fold in the flour and oats into the cream mixture. Add the vanilla and in a separate mixing cup put the 4 tsp (1 Tbsp and 1 tsp) in and add your 6 Tbsp of boiling water. Then after everything is mixed poor the hot baking soda mixture over the dough and stir till everything is wet and mixed thoroughly. * Instead of scooping the mixture out onto cookie sheets, I flour my counter surface and roll out a portion of dough and cut cookies out like biscuits. I have found that it makes the cookie look more like the original and it stretches the amount made. By doing this I get another dozen out of the recipe. Now it depends on how flat you roll them and what size cutter you use. I use a 3 in cookie cutter and roll the dough out about 1/4 to 1/3 inches thick. If you roll them to thin they will be crunchy and not soft. Bake them in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes.

Cream filling:

Whip 2 egg whites in a mixer or with a hand held mixer and set aside. In a separate bowl add all other ingredients and mix well. Combine both mixtures in a mixer and mix thoroughly. Should be thick and creamy looking. If it looks to wet from the milk add a 1/2 cup at a time of powder sugar.
* since I make at least a dozen more by rolling the dough out, I double the filling recipe. After all who doesn't like extra filling. (Even when I made them the orginal way I still ran out of filling.)
Spread between two cookies and enjoy. These cookies are so tasty you just have to share them with everyone.

1 comment:

Laura said...

WOW! Those look really good! My 11 year old daughter was just asking me if we could make homemade ice cream sandwiches for her birthday next month instead of cake and ice cream...i'll have to show here this, she may like it better!
Blessings,
Laura