Monday, March 17, 2008

Gray Hair, and being a Red Head and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

First off since I have been in the book of Proverbs, I have noticed many verses that refer to gray hair as being righteous or for the wise. So I will cease to be looking for the litttle shiny things when I brush my hair. Which from the help of my dh I found out some interesting things about red heads.( Things he learned by researching red haired people on the internet.) Of course if it is not already obvious that I have red hair, then let me take a moment to share my red hair history.

I was born the 3rd of three daughters and although both of my other sisters have red highlights, I was born the light red hair. For the first 2 yrs of life I had hardly any hair to speak of. Not long after a little grew in a lot more grew in and then the light started getting dark and lighter that I became more of a very noticeable redhead. I of course had the freckles and fair skin to boot. So no dye job here. Plus if those weren't obvious signs of my naturalness, just either stay around when I got mad or better yet make me mad and see yif that hot as my hair temper really existed! I hated my hair due to the jokes and teasing I received at school. Although I was a bit perplexed since all of the stranger adults at the grocery store and every where else always complimented me on my beauty and in my own mind I thought tell the kids at school how beautiful I am.

It wasn't till High School that I was comfortable with being a redhead. I realized I had to accept who I was and how God made me. After all God doesn't make mistakes and I should be pleased to know that not only did God give me red hair, but he has every one of my hairs counted! WOW! That just blows my mind. ( I shared that with my boys this last week, it was one of the verses in Luke that we covered in our reading.)

Pretty much ever since then I have been sought after b/c of my distinctive red hair. Boys wanted to date me b/c of the red hair, and every time my hair was cut the stylist would compliment me on my natural color and reply,"this is the color that is in high demand." All the while I am thanking God for making me just as he did.

Now I just hope that maybe one or both of my daughters will be blessed as I have with this very rare and distinctive hair color.

Here are some of the red haired facts dh found. (Boy was he having fun reading and laughing at his findings. Just having a ball learning about the history of red heads.)
Red heads are more prominent in Scotland and about 10% in Ireland.
Red head slaves in Egyptian days were sold for twice as much.
The thought that red heads made powerful witches and had magical powers, which lead them to being burnt at the stake more often.
B/c red hair is a recessive trait and is next to the freckle gene it is more likely that a red head will have freckles.
Red heads are suppose to have a hight pain threshold, in some studies it was revealed that red heads need about 20% more anesthesia for surgeries due to their possibility of feeling the pain?( That one left me bewildered.)
Through thorough research and study, the red haired gene is supposedly linked to African Ancestors. (I actually have Irish, Scottish, and some Itialian genes in me.)
Of course the obvious fact about red heads is that they are rare. You could possibly even say they are a dime a dozen. Not as common as a blonde or a brunette.
Red heads are stung more often than any other hair colored persons. (Possibly due to the brightness of their hair attracts the bees, like bright colored flowers.
Red heads don't go gray, they go white. (My favorite fact of all.) I guess the red hair just in a quick time frame goes all white and not gray's peaking here or there.

I especially hated being a red head when I was young, primarily due to the awful teasing. I was called carrot top, and big red and worse of all "red headed woodpecker".

Plus especially on days like today where Green is the color of choice for those who take part in Celebrating St. Patrick's Day. As for us red heads, we look great in almost any shade of green possible. (Green happens to be my favorite color.)

So Happy St. Patrick's Day for those who like to honor a man of noble character and righteousness, who made a conscious effort to share the Word with many unbelievers.

No comments: